Saturday, December 06, 2008

Mega Man 9 (Xbox Live Arcade)

You can’t go home again.

Mega Man 9 is a retro platformer with 8 bit graphics and it’s bad. It would be one thing if it were a challenging game, but this game is sadistic. It’s like the developers played a Mega Man game for about five minutes and thought, “hmm, this is okay, but it needs death spikes everywhere”. It’s ridiculous. Not helping matters is the fact that the Xbox 360 controller, while superior in many respects to the NES controller, does not have the sensitivity you need to perform the precisely-timed jumps this game constantly demands of you. I can’t count how many times I careened off a ledge into the abyss because the jump button didn’t respond at the correct time. At least, until I got fed up with the game and deleted it. Then I tried it again a week or two later, and it took me about 20 minutes to give up again.

Basically, this game is for old-school obsessives and masochists only. It looks cool in a retro 80s kind of way, but it’s just not fun. You know, the reason we liked Mega Mans 1-4 and X. I can count two examples of bringing retro gaming into the 21st century actually being a success: Pac-man Championship Edition and Bionic Commando Rearmed. Every other game has been boring, frustrating, or uninteresting after the first five minutes.

1 out of 5

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i honestly didn't think it was all that tough, but i've had Mega Man's moveset hardwired into me from age 7 onwards.

playing any sidescroller using the 360's controller sounds like a nightmare.

December 7, 2008 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

It may be a combination of the 360 controller and the fact that I don't have the twitchy reflexes of a 10-year-old anymore (though I have to admit, I only ever beat MM2 as an adult), but it just felt like one of those ROM hacks where the creator tries to make the game as ridiculously hard as possible.

I also don't understand why they took out the slide -- that was the best improvement of MM3.

December 7, 2008 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

they wanted our trusty hero to have the same moves as he did in MM2. I also miss the slide, though I'm glad they did away with the charged shot, which drastically altered the pacing of the series.

good to see you reviewing again, by the way. it's refreshing that you're as cranky about games as you were about music.

December 7, 2008 at 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home